How Long Will The Patient Need To Wear Braces?
The length of treatment needed varies for each individual patient, but can range from a few months to a few years. Patients will likely be asked to visit their Miami orthodontist every 6 to 8 weeks so that the movement of the teeth can be monitored.
What Foods Can Be Eaten With Braces?
- Dairy- soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads- soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins w/o nuts
- Meats/Poultry- soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood- tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables- mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits- applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats- ice cream w/o nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
What Foods Should Be Avoided With Braces?
- Chewy Foods- bagels, hard rolls, licorice
- Crunchy Foods-popcorn, ice, chips
- Sticky Foods-caramels, gum
- Hard Foods-nuts, candy
- Foods you have to bite into-corn on the cob, apples, carrots
- Chewing on hard things (for example, pens, pencils, or fingernails) can damage the braces
How Do I Brush My Teeth With Braces?
- Rinse mouth out with water to remove any loose specks of food
- Rinse off toothbrush with hot water
- Gently brush back and forth at a 45 degree angle in short strokes. Make sure to get all the surfaces including: outer surfaces, inner surfaces, and chewing surfaces.
- Brush thoroughly for 2-3 minutes
Is There Any Special Care Once Braces Are Removed?
Most patients will need wear a retainer after braces are removed in order to maintain the new position of the teeth and to prevent further movement. The retainer should be worn at all times for the first 6 months and then only during sleep.